We are proud to report 35,765 people attended Santa Barbara Earth Day this year! (And thanks to our stellar volunteers, who tracked entries from 6 locations). It’s a beautiful thing when so many people can gather to share information, celebrate, and empower one another. Check out our “Live” site to re-live the magic: live.sbearthday.org
Our favorite stats
- 923 people took a test drive in one of the new electric vehicles in the Green Car Show. Thanks to the teams from Chevy Volt, Coda, Ford Focus, Nissan Leaf, and Toyota Prius for making this possible.
- We counted about 1,500 bikes at the festival. 850 took advantage of free valet bike parking in Bike World. Still more came by foot or bus. Special thanks to our partners at the SB Bicycle Coalition, MTD, and Santa Barbara Car Free.
- The amount of water distributed by our water stations this year was equivalent to 2,000 plastic bottles.
- 85% of the waste generated by the festival was diverted from the landfill. Special thanks to Green Project Consultants for hand sorting each piece.
A huge thank you to our core production and marketing partners: +One Events, LoaTree, New Noise, and Oniracom, as well as dozens of other production partners and hundreds of volunteers. We invite you to join us in applauding their incredible energy and commitment.
You can still give back
For those who participated in our text donation drive, many thanks. If you didn’t get a chance, you can still make a $10 donation by texting “Earth” to 50555 and replying “Yes.” We’ll be pulling our raffle winners tomorrow – prizes include a bicycle, water bottles, and more. Your support allows us to host this event year after year.
You can also donate online.
Tell us what you think
We want to hear from you! What were the highlights? Suggestions for next year? Respond by Thursday at 5pm and we’ll enter you in a drawing to win some fossil-free lifestyle gifts.
- Festival attendee? Take this survey.
- Sponsor or exhibitor? Take this survey.
- Volunteer? Take this survey.
Share your photos
We know you took some great shots — please share them!
You can post your photos and videos to one of our sites (including Facebook, Instagram #sbearthday, or Flickr) or mail a disc to CEC (26 W. Anapamu St. 2nd floor) for a chance to be used in festival promotional materials for 2013.
Latest posts by Lisa Hill (see all)
- Take the 6th Annual Eat Local Challenge - October 1, 2014
- Take the Pledge to Eat Local - September 20, 2014
- Act Now: Greenhouse gas emission threshold in Santa Barbara County - June 5, 2014