Job Announcement: Campaign and Development Associate
Status: Non-Exempt Full time (40 hours/week)
Posted: December 28, 2020
Applications due: Until position is filled
About the Community Environmental Council
CEC is a fast-paced nonprofit based in Santa Barbara and serving the California Central Coast, with a reputation for positive social change and community engagement. Since 1970, CEC has been a leader in creative solutions to tough environmental problems. The CEC team is a highly committed and energetic group, with an internal culture that values collaboration, ongoing learning, and innovation.
With its current focus in the tri-county region to promote rapid and equitable solutions to the climate crisis, CEC is known for organizing the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival, advancing 100% renewable energy goals, and developing campaigns to #gosolar, #driveless, #driveclean #ditchplastic, and #rethinkfood. CEC’s primary objectives are to: 1) Achieve Carbon Zero Communities; 2) Promote nature-based solutions to draw down excess carbon emissions; and 3) Protect against unavoidable climate impacts. Visit www.CECSB.org and www.facebook.com/cecsb to learn more about our work and history.
About the position
CEC is seeking an experienced professional to be part of our Development Team. This position provides administrative support to our Development Team for two efforts: our CEC’s 50th Anniversary campaign to raise $10 million and our ongoing Annual Fund. A high growth position, the ideal candidate will have the ability to take initiative to create new processes that strengthen CEC’s development efforts and thrive in a fast paced environment with many moving parts. They will also participate at the strategic development level.
Job functions and responsibilities
- Print and mail weekly gift acknowledgement letters.
- Assist with solicitation mailings by coordinating with Board and Presidents’ Council for signatures and overseeing mailing process.
- Take and disseminate notes at committee meetings, including Board Development and Green Gala committee meetings.
- Create and maintain donor prospect packets.
- Assist with corporate sponsorships by maintaining donor lists and corporate benefits systems for both CEC and Earth Day Festival sponsors.
- Provide support for donor cultivation events when it is safe to resume events, including managing invitation lists, assisting with check-in and registration, arranging food and beverage, coordinating logistics.
- Identify and create process to better support CEC’s donor relationship management.
- Assume other clerical assignments as assigned.
- Become sufficiently informed to answer questions from volunteers and staff concerning the campaign plans.
- Assist in scheduling appointments and meetings, and make preparations for meetings (including announcements, reminder calls, emails, calendar notices, coordinating schedules, etc.) and logistics (including scheduling Zoom meetings and distributing invitations). When meetings can be held in person once again, logistics also include room reservations, refreshments, parking arrangements, etc.
- Prepare correspondence and make follow-up phone calls. (Netzel Grigsby Associates will provide samples of correspondence.)
- Support cultivation events, such as receptions, tours, lectures, and demonstrations, either virtual events or in-person, when it is safe to do
- Manage files and prepare documents for meetings, including updating, coordinating and refreshing. (Netzel Grigsby Associates will prepare agendas and formats for documents.)
- Manage a workbook of donors and volunteers, gifts to the campaign and other pertinent information. (Netzel Grigsby Associates will provide an excel workbook to track this information and will work closely with the Campaign Assistant to manage the information.)
- Manage a monthly campaign update and assorted communications, as needed.
- Maintain campaign files, reports and other information in current and accurate condition.
- Aptitude with Microsoft Office Suite
- Aptitude with Salesforce or other CRM systems
- Ability to learn and use file sharing systems such as Google Drive and OneDrive
- Possess strong interpersonal and writing skills
- Be committed to CEC’s mission and programs
Job status and compensation
- 40 hours/week
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Non-exempt position
- Benefits include:
- Two weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, and an additional paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Health and dental insurance.
- Optional retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of salary (after a one-year qualifying period)
- Somewhat flexible hours, may include some evenings and weekends
- Part of CEC’s Development Team
- Reports to the Development Director and coordinates closely with the 50th campaign team and Netzel Grigsby Associates, campaign counsel
- Due to COVID-19, our team is working remotely on PDT hours until restrictions are lifted. Beyond that, this full-time position will be based out of our office in Santa Barbara, CA.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (pdf or link) with an email subject line that indicates Development Associate application to:
- Sue Walker
Assistant to the Executive Director
CEC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate based on gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or physical ability.