Job Announcement: Communications Associate
Status: Non-Exempt Full time (40 hours/week)
Posted: December 28, 2020
Applications due: Until position is filled
About the Community Environmental Council
CEC is a fast-paced nonprofit based in Santa Barbara and serving the California Central Coast, with a reputation for positive social change and community engagement. Since 1970, CEC has been a leader in creative solutions to tough environmental problems. The CEC team is a highly committed and energetic group, with an internal culture that values collaboration, ongoing learning, and innovation.
With its current focus in the tri-county region to promote rapid and equitable solutions to the climate crisis, CEC is known for organizing the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival, advancing 100% renewable energy goals, and developing campaigns to #gosolar, #driveless, #driveclean #ditchplastic, and #rethinkfood. CEC’s primary objectives are to: 1) Achieve Carbon Zero Communities; 2) Promote nature-based solutions to draw down excess carbon emissions; and 3) Protect against unavoidable climate impacts. Visit www.CECSB.org and www.facebook.com/cecsb to learn more about our work and history.
About the position
CEC is seeking an experienced professional to be part of our Communications team. This position is responsible for supporting the marketing, PR, and advertising needs of CEC’s programs, as well as the organization overall.
The Communications Associate plays an integral role in implementing the organization’s communications strategy, including supporting communications and outreach to CEC advocates, media, and the public. This position collaborates with a team that includes a website administrator, graphic designers, photographers, translators and other
consultants and vendors to effectively achieve CEC’s communications goals. A high growth position, the ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment with many moving parts, and will have the ability to initiate new strategies and processes that strengthen our communications efforts.
- Execute the organizational communication strategy with both digital and print media – including developing press releases, website content, print fliers and brochures, email campaigns, media calendar notices, and social media.
- Maintain and grow CEC’s presence and following on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Linked In, following best practices and implementing strategic plans. This includes attending virtual events to capture live social media content (and live events when it is safe to do so again).
- Actively monitor and update website content across all CEC web properties, engaging staff as needed to provide current stats and information.
- Support photo management, including developing shot lists for photographers, identifying select pictures to use in promotional materials, and organizing incoming photos.
- Utilize templates to design basic graphics for ongoing social media, email marketing and website needs, and collaborate with graphic designers on more extensive graphic needs.
- Maintain and seek to optimize the organization’s communications project management system, and use this tool to collaborate and ensure timely completion of all tasks.
- Set up agendas for communications & marketing meetings, capture team tasks, and ensure that action items are moved into project management workflow.
- Support in collecting data to measure project performance, and conduct basic market research to help inform communications decisions.
- Support list management including media contacts, Mailchimp subscribers, influencer lists, and others as needed.
- Participate in planning sessions to create and implement strategic marketing plans.
- Support development and maintenance of media kits and press archive.
- Work with interns to assign and manage tasks.
- Support and strengthen policies, procedures and best practices
in support of the organizational communications strategy.
- Proven, exceptional verbal and written communication skills with strong command of writing conventions, grammar, and voice.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask, correspond (i.e., via email and text), and collaborate at a fast pace to complete tasks with a deadline and respond to time-sensitive opportunities.
- Familiarity and/or comfort in quickly learning online tools/programs. Current systems include Google Drive, Microsoft Office, Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Adobe Creative Suite, content management systems (Mailchimp), project management systems (Trello), and others.
- Positive, approachable, flexible attitude.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate in an effective manner with co-workers, partners, and community members.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and self-starting skills.
Job status and compensation
- 40 hours/week
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Non-exempt position
- Benefits include:
- Two weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, and an additional paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Health and dental insurance.
- Optional retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of salary (after a one-year qualifying period)
- Somewhat flexible hours, may include some evenings and weekends
- Part of CEC’s Communications Team
- Reports to the Communications Director
- Due to COVID-19, our team is working remotely on PDT hours until restrictions are lifted. Beyond that, this full-time position will be based out of our office in Santa Barbara, CA.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (pdf or link) with an email subject line that indicates Communications Associate application to:
- Sue Walker
Assistant to the Executive Director
CEC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate based on gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or physical ability.