On Wednesday, March 13, the Santa Barbara County Planning Commission will vote to approve or deny ERG’s West Cat Canyon Revitalization Plan Project, which would drill 233 new oil wells in the wine country between Los Alamos and Santa Maria. ERG plans to use cyclic steaming, an extremely carbon-intensive method that utilizes vast amounts of natural gas to heat the oil and pump it to the surface.
Sign below to urge decisionmakers to deny this risky, carbon-intense form of oil drilling.
To: Santa Barbara County Planning Commission
Re: ERG’s West Cat Canyon Revitalization Plan Project (Oppose)
Dear Santa Barbara County Planning Commissioners:
I urge you to say no to risky oil developments and polluting fossil fuels.
ERG plans to use cyclic steaming, an extremely carbon-intensive method that utilizes vast amounts of natural gas to heat the oil and pump it to the surface. In addition to creating 250,000 MTCO2 emissions annually, which is equivalent to 76% of all the cars, buildings, companies, people and other emission sources in a community the size of Goleta, the project has many negative impacts, including:
- Significant risk of oil or wastewater spills that pollute our surface and groundwater resources
- Significant impacts to biodiversity
- Millions of gallons of local freshwater required by the project
- Billions of gallons of toxic wastewater injected into underground aquifers
- Hundreds of tanker trucks negatively impacting local roads and traffic each day
- Large increases in air pollution from tanker trucks and constant use of seven dirty steam generators
Santa Barbara County should deny projects that risk the health and well-being of both the environment and residents. I urge the County of Santa Barbara to reject ERG’s West Cat Canyon Revitalization Plan Project.
Thank you for your consideration.
Want to take more action? Attend a rally or hearing!
1) Attend the Santa Barbara County Planning Commission Hearing in Santa Maria, beginning with a rally at 8:30 a.m.
Date: Wednesday, March 13
Location: Santa Barbara County Administration Building, 511 Lakeside Pkwy., Santa Maria, CA 93455
Travel: If you would like to carpool, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Time: A community rally outside the building begins at 8:30 a.m. ERG is scheduled to be heard as the second agenda item on the meeting, which starts at 9 a.m. Learn more.
2) Give a Remote Testimony to the Planning Commission from Santa Barbara.
Date: Wednesday, March 13
Location: Santa Barbara County Engineering Building, Room 17, Planning Commission Hearing Room, 123 E. Anapamu St., Santa Barbara.
Time: ERG is scheduled to be heard as the second agenda item on the meeting, which starts at 9 a.m.
Latest posts by Nicole Wald (see all)
- Action Alert: Stop Risky Oil Development in Santa Barbara County - March 8, 2019
- Saving Money by Driving Electric #driveclean - February 11, 2019
- Electric Drive 805: Supporting the switch to clean vehicles #driveclean - February 11, 2019