- This event has passed.
Circular Economy 101: Closing the Life Cycle Loop
November 17, 2020 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
For several decades, our region has looked to recycling as a landfill diversion solution – but it’s not enough. Even though recycling is a step up from a “take-make-dispose” linear economy approach, it still allows manufacturers to avoid responsibility for the end result of their products and packaging.
Join us for an introduction to a new model – the circular economy – that requires producers to take responsibility, save energy, design waste out of the system, and create a market for re-use.
Local experts across academia, government, and business sectors will share:
- Local innovations
- How a circular economy can benefit the Central Coast
- Ways that we can all contribute to a system that reduces waste while creating new economic opportunities in our region
Learn more in advance of the webinar:
- Visit author Kate Raworth’s website to learn more about doughnut economics, a circular economy concept she developed – and read CEC’s review of her book, Doughnut Economics: 21 Ways to Think Like a 21st Century Economist.
- Watch this four-minute video that explains the Circular Economy and how society can re-think progress.
- Check out how Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute is helping to provide safer, more sustainable products made for the circular economy.
- Roland Geyer – Professor, Bren School of Environmental Science and Management at UC Santa Barbara
- Kathi King – Director of Outreach & Education, Community Environmental Council
- Bryan Latchford – Public Information Officer, City of Santa Barbara Sustainability and Resilience
- Penny Owens – Education and Community Outreach Director, Santa Barbara Channelkeeper
- Sarah Palladino – Community Relations Manager and Culture Steward, Toad & Co.
- Sarah Stark – Environmental Compliance and Outreach Coordinator, MarBorg Industries