- This event has passed.
February 23, 2018
Join CEC and Santa Barbara Channelkeeper in the national effort to #ditchplastic by taking part in #SkipTheStrawDay on Friday, February 23.
HOW TO OBSERVE
For most of us, the easiest way is to pick up the glass and tip it back like our parents taught us to do when we four or five. It may take some practice and maybe both hands. There are other fun, eco-friendly, healthy options.
- Bamboo straws are a renewable, reusable and biodegradable.
- Paper straws, while still disposable, are biodegradable and from a renewable source.
- Glass straws are coming in durable, colorful designs fit for a variety of beverages.
- Stainless steel straws are an option for those of us who like our cold drinks really cold!
Other Ways to Observe:
- Volunteer to help clean up your local beaches, parks or neighborhoods. Take note of how many straws are included in all the litter.
- Plan ahead. Do you frequent fast food restaurants or get beverages to go? You will often receive the straw before you have the chance to say no. Be prepared when you order to request your drink without a straw.
Share your solutions and use #SkipTheStrawDay on social media.