Job Announcement: Energy & Transportation Program Associate
Status: Non-Exempt Full time (40 hours/week)
Posted: February 4, 2021
Applications due: Until position is filled
About the Community Environmental Council
CEC is a fast-paced nonprofit based in Santa Barbara and serving the California Central Coast, with a reputation for positive social change and community engagement. Since 1970, CEC has incubated and innovated real life environmental solutions that directly affect the California Central Coast. The CEC team is a highly committed and energetic group, with an internal culture that values collaboration, ongoing learning, and innovation.
With its current focus in the California Central Coast region to promote rapid and equitable solutions to the climate crisis, CEC is known for organizing the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival, advancing 100% renewable energy goals, and developing campaigns to #gosolar, #driveless, #driveclean #ditchplastic, and #rethinkfood. CEC’s primary objectives are to 1) Achieve Carbon Zero Communities; 2) Promote nature-based solutions to draw down legacy emissions and 3) Protect against unavoidable climate impacts. Visit www.CECSB.org and www.facebook.com/cecsb to learn more about our work and history.
About the position
CEC is seeking an experienced professional to join our Energy, Transportation and Climate Team as we scale up our work building regional capacity for climate action. This position is responsible for assisting the Energy Team as we advance energy and transportation solutions that support a rapid and equitable transition to Carbon Zero Communities.
The Energy & Transportation Program Associate will work with the team and external stakeholders such as local governments, businesses, non-profits and the community-at-large to advance policies and programs that move our region toward 100% renewable electricity, decarbonized buildings, and electrified transportation. This position primarily collaborates with a team of four as we expand CEC’s leadership at the regional scale, building strong networks for climate action across Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo Counties.
The Energy & Transportation Program Associate will support the team to enact bold climate policy such as carbon neutrality targets, with a focus on environmental and climate justice. CEC seeks to activate people of every age, race, ethnicity, and economic status in community planning, political action, personal behavior change, and climate leadership.
Job functions and responsibilities
- Contribute to ongoing projects to increase solar/renewable electricity usage, decarbonize buildings, electrify transportation, and support alternatives to driving alone.
- Research and track climate-energy policies and legislation at the local, state and federal levels.
- Assist with the development of local climate action policies and campaigns that are aligned with CEC’s principles of equity and climate justice.
- Advocate for climate leadership and climate policy solutions before local and regional decision makers.
- Report on project outcomes.
- Seek new grant opportunities in collaboration with team members.
- Support coordination and development of CEC partnerships and collaborative networks, such as the Electric Drive 805 collaborative and the Central Coast Climate Justice Network.
- Build positive working relationships with stakeholders.
- Support CEC’s commitment to increasing bilingual engagement and accessibility with our programs.
- Two or more years of professional work experience, preferably in energy, environment, government planning or policy, or a related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area; Master’s degree preferred.
- Outgoing self-starter with a demonstrated ability to motivate internal teams and external stakeholders.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including interpersonal networking skills, public speaking, and relationship building.
- Residence or network in Ventura and/or Santa Barbara counties is preferred but not required. Candidates based in Ventura County are strongly encouraged to apply as we expand our work in the region.
- Aptitude with Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn and use file sharing systems such as Google Drive and OneDrive.
- Demonstrated commitment to CEC’s mission and programs.
- Bilingual candidates who are fluent in English and Spanish will be given special consideration.
Job status and compensation
- 40 hours/week
- Salary commensurate with experience. CEC offers competitive salaries at or above the median level based on a survey of similar non-profits in Southern California.
- Non-exempt position
- Benefits include:
- Two weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, and an additional paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Increasing vacation benefits with seniority.
- Health and dental insurance.
- Optional retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of salary (after a one-year qualifying period)
- Somewhat flexible hours, may include some evenings and weekends
- Part of CEC’s Energy, Transportation and Climate Team.
- Reports to the Director of Energy and Climate Programs and coordinates closely with four team members.
- Due to COVID-19, our team is working remotely on PDT hours until restrictions are lifted. Beyond that, this full-time position will be based out of our office in Santa Barbara, CA. For candidates based in Ventura County, this position has a possibility of partial remote work.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (pdf or link) to:
Director of Energy and Climate Programs
CEC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate based on gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or physical ability.