One of the best ways for members of the press to stay current on events and announcements is to sign-up for CEC’s action alerts. In addition, CEC Staff and Board are available to provide expert background and commentary on a wide range of issues. For help identifying the right expert, contact CEO/Executive Director Sigrid Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are looking for information specific to CEC’s Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival, please visit the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival Press Page.
For articles published before 2018, visit our Archived Press page.
Recent Press Releases
- Community Environmental Council Receives Food Rescue Grant and Partners with SBCC and Allan Hancock College to Feed Hungry Students. June 13, 2019.
- Plastic Free July Kickoff Party and Video Premiere. June 12, 2019.
- Californians Support Local Action To Create Zero-Emission Homes And Buildings. June 6, 2019.
- Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival 2019 Highlights Announced; James Cameron and Hannah-Beth Jackson to Present Environmental Hero Awards. April 24, 2019.
- Solarize Ventura is Back. April 23, 2019.
- SCEEP Promotes Energy-Saving Rebate with Smart Thermostat Giveaway at Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival. April 23, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Launches kWh Countdown Program to help Lompoc Businesses Save Energy. April 19, 2019.
- Earth Day Organizers to Honor 2019 Environmental Heroes Acting on the Climate Crisis. April 15, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Welcomes New Partnership Council Members and Intern, Including Lawyer and Financial Expert. March 26, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Announces SB Earth Day Festival 2019. February 19, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Announces Launch of Electric Drive 805. January 30, 2019.
- Call for Climate Solutions, End to Oil Drilling as Movement Marks the 50th Anniversary of Historic Santa Barbara Oil Spill. January 24, 2019.
December 2018 – Year-end Summary
December 2018 – You helped #gosolar
December 2018 – You helped #rethinkfood
December 2018 – You helped #ditchplastic
December 2018 – You helped #driveclean
The Community Environmental Council (CEC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization located in Santa Barbara, California.
CEC’s mission is to pioneer real life solutions in areas with the most impact on climate change. Our programs provide pathways to clean vehicles, solar energy, resilient food systems, and reduction of single-use plastic.
Some of our areas of expertise include:
- alternative transportation (including bicycling and walking)
- carbon farming
- clean energy vehicles
- climate justice
- climate resilience
- energy conservation and efficiency
- environmental planning
- food waste reduction
- green building
- reduction of single-use plastics
- regional and statewide legislation
- solar energy
- traffic reduction
- wind energy
Social Media Links
CEC in the News
- New Grant Aims To Feed Needy Students At Two Colleges On South And Central Coast. KCLU. June 17, 2019.
- Impressive Miles Traveled At Annual Bike Challenge Awards Ceremony. Edhat. June 14, 2019.
- Despite Good Intentions, Some Plastics Aren’t Suitable for Recycling. Noozhawk. May 29, 2019.
- Environmental Leaders Offer Practical Strategies for Addressing Climate Change. Noozhawk. May 28, 2019.
- Farmers, ranchers invited to demonstration at Chamberlin Ranch. Santa Ynez Valley Star. May 28, 2019.
- In Memoriam: Bob Sollen: 1921 – 2019. Santa Barbara Independent. May 16, 2019.
- Santa Barbara Central Library Offering Food for Thought About Food Insecurity. Noozhawk. May 10, 2019.
- Come and Eat! Local Projects Prevent 93 Million Pounds of Food Waste. CalRecycle. May 2, 2019.
- Earth Day Festival Highlights. EdHat. May 1, 2019.
- Suzy Amis Cameron receives Environmental Hero Award at Earth Day Festival. KEYT. April 28, 2019.
- Annual Earth Day Celebration Brings the Fun to Serious Mission of Planet Protection. Noozhawk. April 27, 2019.
- Tens Of Thousands Of People Head To Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival This Weekend. KCLU. April 27, 2019.
- Communities across the Central Coast celebrate Earth Day. KSYB. April 27, 2019.
- Earth Day celebration helps educate and entertain students. The Channels. April 26, 2019.
- Michael Williams Takes Financial Reins at Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara. Noozhawk. April 25, 2019.
- Book Excerpt: ‘In Love with Earth’. Santa Barbara Independent. April 22, 2019.
- How an Oil Spill 50 Years Ago Inspired the First Earth Day. Smithsonian magazine. April 22, 2019.
- Happy Earth Day! EdHat. April 22, 2019.
- Celebrate Earth Day, Planet Give-Backers of SoCal. NBC Los Angeles. April 22, 2019.
- Celebrating Earth Month in Santa Barbara. The Bottom Line – UCSB. April 21, 2019.
- Are We Preparing for the Climate Crisis? Santa Barbara Independent. April 11, 2019.
- Nominations Open for Santa Barbara County Leadership Awards. On the 101. April 9, 2019.
- Support for Santa Barbara Channelkeeper Runs Deep at Blue Water Ball. Noozhawk. March 24, 2019.
- Girls Inc. of Carpinteria goes solar Coastal View. March 19, 2019.
- Solar panels belong on roofs, not in massive desert installations. Los Angeles Times. March 3, 2019.
- Santa Barbara Songwriter David Segall to Debut ‘Rising All Along’ Music Video. Noozhawk. February 26, 2019.
- David Segall, New Brew Spot Host Music Video Launch, Fundraiser. Santa Barbara Business News. February 26, 2019.
- FinalStraw Finds New Home in Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara Independent. February 25, 2019.
- Clean-energy expert to speak at breakfast. Cal Lutheran. February 25, 2019.
- Documentary Focuses On Santa Barbara’s Community Spirit After Natural Disasters. Edhat. February 13, 2019.
- Karen Telleen-Lawton: Action For UNOCAL’s Anniversary. Noozhawk. February 11, 2019.
- Explore Ecology Wants to Thank Local Grassroots Environmentalists. Noozhawk. February 7, 2019.
- What Plains Pipeline Isn’t Telling You. Santa Barbara Independent. February 3, 2019.
- Electric Cars Cost Less Than You’d Think. Santa Barbara Independent. February 1, 2019.
- SB Legislators Propose New Bills in Attempt To Turn the Tide on Offshore Drilling and Pipeline Safety. Daily Nexus. January 31, 2019.
- What Happens Next for PG&E Executives?. New York Times. January 31, 2019.
- How the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill led to 50 years of coastal protections in California. Los Angeles Times. January 31, 2019.
- Pro-drilling group warns of seepage. Santa Barbara News-Press. January 31, 2019.
- 50th Anniversary of the Santa Barbara Oil Spill: A Catalyst of the Modern Environmental Movement. Daily Nexus. January 31, 2019.
- Santa Barbara Activists Trace Green Awareness, Fossil Skepticism To 1969 Offshore Oil Spill. The Energy Mix. January 30, 2019.
- Offshore Oil in the Santa Barbara Channel: The Long Goodbye. Noozhawk. January 30, 2019.
- Jackson, Carbajal announce oil legislation. Santa Barbara News-Press. January 29, 2019.
- National Leaders Lend Support to ‘69 Spill Remembrance. Santa Barbara Independent. January 29, 2019.
- Karen Telleen-Lawton: Environmental Accomplishments 2018. Santa Barbara Independent. January 28, 2019.
- Kenneth Kahn: Partnership with Veggie Rescue bears fruit. Lompoc Record. January 28, 2019.
- The Oil Spill Heard ‘Round the World. Santa Barbara Independent. January 28, 2019.
- Listen to the Young on Oil Policy. Santa Barbara Independent. January 28, 2019.
- 50 years after the Santa Barbara oil spill: How the catastrophe sparked a modern environmental movement. Accuweather. January 28, 2019.
- Fifty Years After Santa Barbara Spill, Oil Drilling Fight Goes On. Bloomberg Environment. January 28, 2019.
- Oil industry, environmental leaders mark 50th anniversary of Santa Barbara Oil Spill. IndyBay. January 28, 2019.
- Santa Barbara spill at 50: Lasting impacts, good and bad. Energy Wire. January 28, 2019.
- The Santa Barbara Oil Spill : Reflecting 50 Years Later: ‘The Ocean Was Boiling’. Santa Barbara News-Press. January 27, 2019.
- Crude Awakening. Santa Barbara News-Press. January 27, 2019.
- 50 years after Santa Barbara oil spill, the call remains: ‘Get oil out’. San Francisco Chronicle. January 25, 2019.
- Massive Santa Barbara oil spill still impacts U.S. 50 years later. San Luis Obispo Tribune. January 25, 2019.
- The 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill: An environmental ‘shot heard around the world’. VC Star. January 24, 2019.
- Santa Barbara’s 1969 Oil Spill Reverberates Today. Santa Barbara Independent. January 24, 2019.
- Local groups launch new Electric Drive 805 coalition. KSBY. January 24, 2019.
- 1969 Oil Spill Reexamined at UCSB. EdHat. January 21, 2019.
- Overflow crowd turns out for hearing on Cat Canyon oil drilling EIR. Lompoc Record. January 17, 2019.
- Calamity Revisited. The Current. January 17, 2019.
- Evacuation preparation, affordable housing and environmental concerns dominate council meeting. Coastal View. January 16, 2019.
- Yes, You Can Tour Santa Barbara Wineries In A Tesla. Forbes. January 11, 2019.
- Call to Climate Action at Community Commemoration of 50th Anniversary of Santa Barbara Oil Spill. Amigos 805. January 1, 2019.