One of the best ways for members of the press to stay current on events and announcements is to sign-up for CEC’s action alerts. In addition, CEC Staff and Board are available to provide expert background and commentary on a wide range of issues. For help identifying the right expert, contact CEO/Executive Director Sigrid Wright at email@example.com.
If you are looking for information specific to CEC’s Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival, please visit the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival Press Page.
For articles published before 2018, visit our Archived Press page.
Recent Press Releases
- Community Environmental Council Welcomes New Partnership Council Members and Intern, Including Lawyer and Financial Expert. March 26, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Announces SB Earth Day Festival 2019. February 19, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Announces Launch of Electric Drive 805. January 30, 2019.
- Call for Climate Solutions, End to Oil Drilling as Movement Marks the 50th Anniversary of Historic Santa Barbara Oil Spill. January 24, 2019.
December 2018 – Year-end Summary
December 2018 – You helped #gosolar
December 2018 – You helped #rethinkfood
December 2018 – You helped #ditchplastic
December 2018 – You helped #driveclean
The Community Environmental Council (CEC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization located in Santa Barbara, California.
CEC’s mission is to pioneer real life solutions in areas with the most impact on climate change. Our programs provide pathways to clean vehicles, solar energy, resilient food systems, and reduction of single-use plastic.
Some of our areas of expertise include:
- alternative transportation (including bicycling and walking)
- energy conservation and efficiency
- environmental planning
- fossil fuels
- fuel efficient vehicles
- green building
- ocean energy (including tidal and wave)
- peak oil
- regional and statewide legislation
- solar energy
- traffic reduction
- urban planning
- wind energy
Social Media Links
CEC in the News
- Solar panels belong on roofs, not in massive desert installations. Los Angeles Times. March 3, 2019.
- Santa Barbara Songwriter David Segall to Debut ‘Rising All Along’ Music Video. Noozhawk. February 26, 2019.
- David Segall, New Brew Spot Host Music Video Launch, Fundraiser. Santa Barbara Business News. February 26, 2019.
- FinalStraw Finds New Home in Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara Independent. February 25, 2019.
- Clean-energy expert to speak at breakfast. Cal Lutheran. February 25, 2019.
- Documentary Focuses On Santa Barbara’s Community Spirit After Natural Disasters. Edhat. February 13, 2019.
- Karen Telleen-Lawton: Action For UNOCAL’s Anniversary/a>. Noozhawk. February 11, 2019.
- Explore Ecology Wants to Thank Local Grassroots Environmentalists/a>. Noozhawk. February 7, 2019.
- What Plains Pipeline Isn’t Telling You/a>. Santa Barbara Independent. February 3, 2019.
- Electric Cars Cost Less Than You’d Think. Santa Barbara Independent. February 1, 2019.
- SB Legislators Propose New Bills in Attempt To Turn the Tide on Offshore Drilling and Pipeline Safety. Daily Nexus. January 31, 2019.
- What Happens Next for PG&E Executives?. New York Times. January 31, 2019.
- How the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill led to 50 years of coastal protections in California. Los Angeles Times. January 31, 2019.
- Pro-drilling group warns of seepage. Santa Barbara News-Press. January 31, 2019.
- 50th Anniversary of the Santa Barbara Oil Spill: A Catalyst of the Modern Environmental Movement. Daily Nexus. January 31, 2019.
- Santa Barbara Activists Trace Green Awareness, Fossil Skepticism To 1969 Offshore Oil Spill. The Energy Mix. January 30, 2019.
- Offshore Oil in the Santa Barbara Channel: The Long Goodbye. Noozhawk. January 30, 2019.
- Jackson, Carbajal announce oil legislation. Santa Barbara News-Press. January 29, 2019.
- National Leaders Lend Support to ‘69 Spill Remembrance. Santa Barbara Independent. January 29, 2019.
- Karen Telleen-Lawton: Environmental Accomplishments 2018. Santa Barbara Independent. January 28, 2019.
- Kenneth Kahn: Partnership with Veggie Rescue bears fruit. Lompoc Record. January 28, 2019.
- The Oil Spill Heard ‘Round the World. Santa Barbara Independent. January 28, 2019.
- Listen to the Young on Oil Policy. Santa Barbara Independent. January 28, 2019.
- 50 years after the Santa Barbara oil spill: How the catastrophe sparked a modern environmental movement. Accuweather. January 28, 2019.
- Fifty Years After Santa Barbara Spill, Oil Drilling Fight Goes On. Bloomberg Environment. January 28, 2019.
- Oil industry, environmental leaders mark 50th anniversary of Santa Barbara Oil Spill. IndyBay. January 28, 2019.
- Santa Barbara spill at 50: Lasting impacts, good and bad. Energy Wire. January 28, 2019.
- The Santa Barbara Oil Spill : Reflecting 50 Years Later: ‘The Ocean Was Boiling’. Santa Barbara News-Press. January 27, 2019.
- Crude Awakening. Santa Barbara News-Press. January 27, 2019.
- 50 years after Santa Barbara oil spill, the call remains: ‘Get oil out’. San Francisco Chronicle. January 25, 2019.
- Massive Santa Barbara oil spill still impacts U.S. 50 years later. San Luis Obispo Tribune. January 25, 2019.
- The 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill: An environmental ‘shot heard around the world’. VC Star. January 24, 2019.
- Santa Barbara’s 1969 Oil Spill Reverberates Today. Santa Barbara Independent. January 24, 2019.
- Local groups launch new Electric Drive 805 coalition. KSBY. January 24, 2019.
- 1969 Oil Spill Reexamined at UCSB. EdHat. January 21, 2019.
- Calamity Revisited. The Current. January 17, 2019.
- Evacuation preparation, affordable housing and environmental concerns dominate council meeting. Coastal View. January 16, 2019.
- Yes, You Can Tour Santa Barbara Wineries In A Tesla. Forbes. January 11, 2019.
- Call to Climate Action at Community Commemoration of 50th Anniversary of Santa Barbara Oil Spill. Amigos 805. January 1, 2019.