One of the best ways for members of the press to stay current on events and announcements is to sign-up for CEC’s action alerts. In addition, CEC Staff and Board are available to provide expert background and commentary on a wide range of issues. For help identifying the right expert, contact CEO Sigrid Wright at [email protected].
If you are looking for information specific to CEC’s Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival, please visit the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival Press Page.
For articles published in 2019 and earlier, visit our Archived Press page.
Recent Press Releases
- Community Environmental Council Gathers Local Leaders, Stakeholders to Address Impacts of Sea Level Rise & Flooding. March 9, 2020.
- Community Environmental Council Welcomes New Members to Board of Directors, Partnership Council and President’s Council. February 19, 2020.
- Community Environmental Council Announces 2020 Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival—the 50th Anniversary of “Earth Day”. February 18, 2020.
- Thank You for Joining the Home Energy Workshop in Ventura. December 8, 2019.
- Community Invited to Take Action on Local Food System Reform. November 21, 2019.
- Home Energy Storage Workshop Attracts Big Crowd. November 19, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Gathers Local Leaders, Stakeholders to Address Local Climate and Fire Resilience. November 4, 2019.
- City of Santa Barbara, Community Environmental Council to Help Residents Prepare for Power outages at Home Energy Storage Workshop. October 17, 2019.
- City of Ventura, Community Environmental Council to Help Residents Prepare for Power Outages at Home Energy Storage Workshop.October 17, 2019.
- Ventura County Agricultural Advocates Awarded Healthy Soils Grant from State of California. August 28, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council and Los Padres Chapter Sierra Club Support National Drive Electric Week Events in the 805 Region. September 22, 2019.
- CEC’s Green Gala. September 20, 2019.
- Harvard Club of Santa Barbara Presents Exploring Climate Change & Culture Shift, Lecture on Climate and the Humanities. September 12, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Welcomes New Members to Board, President’s Council, Staff, and Intern Program. August 1, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Receives Food Rescue Grant and Partners with SBCC and Allan Hancock College to Feed Hungry Students. June 13, 2019.
- Plastic Free July Kickoff Party and Video Premiere. June 12, 2019.
- Californians Support Local Action To Create Zero-Emission Homes And Buildings. June 6, 2019.
- Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival 2019 Highlights Announced; James Cameron and Hannah-Beth Jackson to Present Environmental Hero Awards. April 24, 2019.
- Solarize Ventura is Back. April 23, 2019.
- SCEEP Promotes Energy-Saving Rebate with Smart Thermostat Giveaway at Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival. April 23, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Launches kWh Countdown Program to help Lompoc Businesses Save Energy. April 19, 2019.
- Earth Day Organizers to Honor 2019 Environmental Heroes Acting on the Climate Crisis. April 15, 2019.
- Solarize Nonprofit Program Helps Girls Inc. of Carpinteria Go Solar March 19, 2019.<
- Community Environmental Council Welcomes New Partnership Council Members and Intern, Including Lawyer and Financial Expert. March 26, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Announces SB Earth Day Festival 2019. February 19, 2019.
- Community Environmental Council Announces Launch of Electric Drive 805. January 30, 2019.
- Call for Climate Solutions, End to Oil Drilling as Movement Marks the 50th Anniversary of Historic Santa Barbara Oil Spill. January 24, 2019.
December 2019 – Climate Crisis
December 2019 – Clean Transportation
December 2019 – Reduce Plastic Use
December 2019 – Clean Energy
December 2019 – Healthy Food System
The Community Environmental Council (CEC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization located in Santa Barbara, California.
CEC’s mission is to pioneer real life solutions in areas with the most impact on climate change. Our programs provide pathways to clean vehicles, solar energy, resilient food systems, and reduction of single-use plastic.
Some of our areas of expertise include:
- alternative transportation (including bicycling and walking)
- carbon farming
- clean energy vehicles
- climate justice
- climate resilience
- energy conservation and efficiency
- environmental planning
- food waste reduction
- green building
- reduction of single-use plastics
- regional and statewide legislation
- solar energy
- traffic reduction
- wind energy
Social Media Links
CEC in the News
- TEDxSantaBarbara Teams With UCSB on Interactive Event Series. Noozhawk. March 6, 2020.
- Hit the Road: Festivals, food, fun and more. The Coast News Group. March 5, 2020.
- The Light Blue Line: 13 Years Later. Independent. March 4, 2020.
- Getting to the Root of it All: Could Replanting Prairie Help Slow Climate Change?. EWU Biology. February 19, 2020.
- “Two Years After Fire and Flood”: Santa Barbara Community Evaluates Impacts and Responses. Daily Nexus. January 30, 2020.
- Santa Barbara Co. Supervisors Ok Controversial Wind Farm Project on Lompoc. WindAction. January 29, 2020.
- Santa Barbara Co. Supervisors Ok Controversial Wind Farm Project on Lompoc. KEYT. January 28, 2020.
- Santa Barbara Co. Supervisors Ok Controversial Wind Farm Project on Lompoc. National Wind Watch. January 28, 2020.
- Disaster Readiness and Impacts Discussed at Packed Auditorium in Santa Barbara. KEYT. January 27, 2020.
- Experts Offer Insight into Fires, Debris Flow. Santa Barbara News-Press. January 27, 2020.
- Community Conversation on Fire and Flood. Edhat. January 27, 2020.
- Thomas Fire, Montecito Debris Flows Subject of Forum Explaining Research and Ongoing Impacts. Noozhawk. January 26, 2020.
- Canary: Environmental Conundrum. Santa Maria Sun. January 15, 2020.
- Groups Are Concerned That A Proposed Wind Project Could Damage Birds, Plants. Santa Maria Sun. January 15, 2020.
- Wind Turbines Won’t Fix Santa Barbara’s Greenhouse Gas Problem. KCRW. January 7, 2020.
- Sea Center Goes Solar. Santa Barbara Independent. January 7, 2020.
- Support for Strauss Wind Energy. Santa Barbara Independent. January 7, 2020.
- Street Smarts: Ask Amy Recommends Donating to Direct Relief. Pacific Coast Business Times. January 3, 2020.
- Community Land Use Planning in a Changing Climate. Edhat. December 30, 2019.
- Capps Steps Up. Santa Barbara Independent. December 18, 2019.
- Sea Center in Santa Barbara Goes Solar With Solarize Nonprofit Program. SB Family & Life Magazine. December 17, 2019.
- Wildfires Are Getting Worse, and So Is the Deadly Smoke They Bring with Them. Grist. December 16, 2019.
- Sea Center on Stearns Wharf Now Sporting New Solar Panels. Santa Barbara News-Press. December 13, 2019.
- Sea Center in Santa Barbara Goes Solar with Solarize Nonprofit Program. Noozhawk. December 13, 2019.
- SBMNH Sea Center Goes Solar with Solarize Nonprofit Program. NPRN. December 12, 2019.
- Solar Project Saves Sea Center Thousands of Dollars Now Shifting to Programs and Exhibits. KEYT. December 12, 2019.
- Montecito Workshop Focused on Home Energy Battery Storage. Noozhawk. December 11, 2019.
- Fires, Floods, and Free Parking: California’s Unending Fight Against Climate Change. Anchorage Daily News. December 9, 2019.
- The Energy 202: It’s the Birthplace of Earth Day. Now It’s One of the Fastest Warming Spots in the U.S. Washington Post. December 6, 2019.
- Fires, Floods, and Free Parking: California’s Unending Fight Against Climate Change. Washington Post. December 5, 2019.
- Getting to the Root of It All: Could Replanting Prarie Help Slow Climate Change? Current Topics in Ecology and Evolution at EWU Biology. December 4, 2019.
- California Cuts Electric Car Rebates, Drops Luxury Models. Lompoc Record. December 4, 2019.
- Are You Ready for Giving Tuesday? Noozhawk. December 2, 2019.
- Our Biggest Challenge. Discovering What Matters. November 5, 2019.