Updated Alert: Success! Goleta Becomes 51st city in U.S. to Set 100% Renewable Energy Goal
In a unanimous vote, City of Goleta council members committed to moving the city’s municipal facilities and community-wide electricity supply to 100% renewable power by 2030. They also resolved to have at least 50 percent of electricity use by municipal facilities come from renewable sources by 2025. To support these goals, the city authorized investigating the feasibility of a city-wide Community Choice Energy program that could encourage more local renewable generation.
Encourage Goleta to set a goal of 100% renewable energy.
With federal climate action eroding, cities around the nation – including Santa Barbara – are stepping up as leaders in the fight against climate change by setting a goal of 100% renewable energy. Let’s join them.
We are lucky to live in the top state for climate leadership, and California has robust programs that are working well to combat climate change. Our programs are often copied by other states and internationally. Subnational leadership is working.
Cities are also stepping up and showing leadership. By setting a 100% renewable energy goal, our local cities will commit to developing renewable energy projects on their own feasible sites, and may also contract for new utility scale renewable energy to be built in California. This new renewable energy will go above and beyond our state goals, and will help the solar and renewables industry add jobs and continue sizzling growth. By setting local 100% renewable energy goals, we show leadership to other cities, encouraging them to also join the movement.[/vc_column_text]
2) Write an email in support of 100% renewable energy goals.
Please send a personalized email as Council Members have told us they don’t like receiving form letters.
- Start with why renewable energy is important to you
- Include which Goleta neighborhood you live in or where you shop or work in Goleta.
- Choose sample talking points below that are relevant to you, and put them in your own words.
3) Send your email to Goleta City officials.
Please send them each a personal email from your account.
Mayor Paula Perotte email@example.com
Mayor Pro Tempore Stuart Kasdin firstname.lastname@example.org
Councilmember Michael Bennett email@example.com
Councilmember Kyle Richards firstname.lastname@example.org
Councilmember Roger Aceves email@example.com
- State why renewable energy is important to you.
- Describe your neighborhood if you live in Goleta or if you work or shop in Goleta.
- Cities across California and America are setting 100% renewable electricity goals for their municipal operations and entire communities.
- Goleta should set a goal of 100% renewable energy for the entire community by 2030, and set a goal of 50% renewable energy for municipal operations by 2020 and 100% by 2030.
- Nationwide, 50 cities have already committed to a goal of achieving 100% renewable energy for their entire communities, six have already met that goal, and dozens of others are considering similar actions.
- In our own state, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Del Mar, Santa Monica, Palo Alto, South Lake Tahoe, Truckee, San Jose, and San Francisco have set goals of 100% renewables by 2030 or earlier, and are now studying the best ways to reach these targets.
- Such targets will re-assert Goleta environmental leadership and send a message to state and federal agencies that our region embraces the rapid transition to renewable energy that we have seen over the last decade.
- These goals are forward-thinking and have the potential to set a model for other communities.
- Goleta can be a leading city by setting a 100% renewable energy goal. The community at large and other cities are ready to help Goleta reach this important objective.
4) Attend the City Council meeting on Tuesday, December 5 at Goleta City Hall, 130 Cremona Drive, Suite B. The item is C2 on the agenda, and we anticipate it beginning after 2:30 p.m. Please view the staff report and speak at the hearing about why renewable energy is important to you and Goleta. Let us know you are coming by joining the Facebook event or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Nicole Wald (see all)
- Retired Fire Chief and Green Business Leaders Join CEC #cecfamily - December 6, 2018
- Building Our Resilient Food System: A Community Gathering #rethinkfood - November 8, 2018
- Sharing the Power of Carbon Farming: Healthy Soils Field Day #rethinkfood - October 30, 2018