My dad was a Mercedes man. My favorite of his cars? A buttermilk 300E with matching leather seats. I loved to slip into that luscious interior and escape to the hardware store for father-daughter bonding. While different models came and went, the Mercedes always got the prime garage spot – with other cars relegated to the driveway.
You can imagine my surprise when I arrived at his house two months ago and encountered the Mercedes parked in the driveway.
Something had changed.
A squeaky clean Chevy Volt was now plugged into the prime garage spot. Dad had purchased the Volt and installed a rooftop solar system through a zero money down lease program. The Department of Energy and the State of CA helped fund his 240 volt charger (no pun intended), which is set to charge only during off-peak periods. With this setup, his electricity bills are about the same, though sourced from renewables instead of fossil fuels, and hedged against inflating energy costs. However, he’s saving about $100 a month in gasoline.
To celebrate Dad’s shift in priorities, I made him an electric car playlist to bump to while silently whirring down the highway.
I put a lot of thought into the order of these songs and thought there might be other plug-in / hybrid electric vehicle owners who would enjoy a playlist selected specifically for their automobile. I would love to hear what I might have missed and welcome your suggestions.
I hope you’ll enjoy this playlist in your electric vehicle!
- “Electric” by Lisa Scott-Lee
- “Danger! High Voltage (Soulchild Radio Mix)” by Electric Six
- “Electric Avenue” by Eddy Grant
- “Electric Youth” by Debbie Gibson
- “Electric Lady” by Con Funk Shun
- “Electric Feel” by MGMT
- “Plug In Baby” by Muse
- “She’s Electric” by Oasis
- “Don’t Bring Me Down” by Electric Light Orchestra
- “Running On Empty” by Jackson Browne
- “Charge Me Up” by Jennifer Lopez
- “Electric Barbarella” by Duran Duran
- “Electric Man (Radio Edit)” by Mansun
- “Charge” by The Renegades
- “Electricity” by Spiritualized
- “Together In Electric Dreams” by The Human League
- “It’s Electric” by Metallica
About the author:
Cherlyn Seruto is currently commuting 80 miles a day via gasoline, and is considering selling her soul for an electric Porsche Speedster a la Reverend Gadget.