About the Climate Resilience Roundtables
CEC is organizing a series of roundtables in 2019-2020 to address issues related to climate resilience and adaptation for Santa Barbara County. The roundtables will be organized around the identified threats from the Fourth California Climate Change Assessment: sea level rise, heavy precipitation events, temperature increase, increased wildfire, drought, and decreasing snow pack and water supply. We will examine these threats through the lens of public and mental health, social justice, economic impacts, infrastructure vulnerabilities, and natural systems and working landscapes.
Goals of the Roundtables
Through this roundtable series, we’ll begin framing a community vision for climate resilience and adaptation for Santa Barbara County by identifying potential actions and strategies.
Our goals are to:
- Build trust, strengthen networks, catalyze partnerships and align climate planning and resilience efforts
- Engage important underrepresented voices and perspectives for a more cohesive community-wide approach to climate adaptation
- Identify opportunities, gaps, critical issues and tensions in need of resolution or focus
- Frame a collaborative vision for climate and disaster resilience with actionable next steps
ROUNDTABLE 1: Wildfire & Smoke - November 1, 2019
- Agenda & Program (PDF)
- Participant List (PDF)
- Presenter Slides (PDF)
- Press Release
- Additional Resources
Cal-Adapt provides a view of how climate change might affect California. Find tools, data, and resources to conduct research, develop adaptation plans and build applications.
- CalFire Resilience funding opportunities (DOCX)
- Clean Coalition’s Community Microgrid Initiative
- Health, Wildfires & Climate Change in California white paper – Climate Readiness Institute
This white paper makes recommendations for action to reduce the serious health impacts of wildfires in California’s increasingly hot climate.